Wings, Wings and Wings!
Who doesn’t like some savory chicken wings with the perfect honey-glazed textured skin? Once you know there are chicken wings on the menu, you are sure to get your hands dirty on this one. A Perfect match to BBQ, Dinner and even the appetizer menu, it is a must to know how to make the perfect honey wings. Presenting a simple recipe for the most juicy honey soy wings of your life, that will be prepared using Instant Pot in just 30 minutes.
- Chicken wings- 1.5 pound
- Garlic cloves- 4
- Shallot- 1
- Star Anise- 1 or 2 (for extra flavour)
- Sliced ginger- 1 tablespoon
- Honey-1 tablespoon
- Cornstarch- 1.5 tablespoon
- Light Soy Sauce- 2 tablespoons
- Dark soy sauce- 1 tablespoon
- Shaoxing Wine- 1 tablespoon
- Sugar-1 teaspoon
- Salt- as per taste
- Oil- 1 tablespoon
- Water- half cup
- First step is the chicken marination. Prepare the marinade by mixing light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, sugar, salt and shaoxing wine together. Marinate the chicken wings fully in this mixture and settle it for 20 minutes.
- Take your instant pot and set it to the saute function. Heat it up till it indicates “HOT”.
- Add oil to your instant pot making sure the base is fully covered. Next add the marinated chicken wings one by one to the pot and brown each side for a rough 30 seconds. Make sure that all the sides are browned and don’t keep one side for long as sugar tends to burn quick. Once browned, remove the chicken wings and set aside.
- With the Saute mode still selected, reduce the heat to medium and add in the shallot, star anise, ginger and garlic. Stir in for about 30 seconds to ensure that the fragments are released.
- With all the heat, the bottom of the instant pot is sure to roughen up, this is where you will de-glaze it by adding in the honey-water mixture. Mix honey in 1/2 cup water and add it to the instant pot and mix well.
- In this mixture, set in your chicken wings while pouring on all the leftover marinade. Close the lid of the pot and select high pressure for 5 minutes. This will pressure cook the chicken wings. After the timer goes off, turn the heat off and release the pressure naturally (which will take 10 minutes ideally).
- Open the lid and taste the seasoning inside. Currently, the mixture would have a watery consistency, but it will be thickened up . If you wish for more spicy or honey glazing , add in the desired ingredient and give it a stir.
- Once you are satisfied with the taste of the mixture in the pot, remove your chicken wings and set them aside. Select the saute mode again while turning the heat to medium. In a cup, mix in the cornstarch with cold water. Add the cornstarch and water mixture 1/3 at a time to the instant pot and keep on stirring as you add it. As you add it in bit by bit, you will see the mixture in the instant pot turn thicker and thicker. Keep mixing until it obtains a sauce like consistency.
- Once desired result is achieved, add in the chicken wings and coat them well in the sauce. Serve while hot and top with any remaining sauce.